Monday, July 09, 2007

Pinwheel Baby Blanket

Here is the pinwheel baby blanket that I knit for my very special little nephew. Blankets take forever to knit and this one would have too IF I had had an indefinite completion date. But this was needed to be knit in 14 days. I think I knit it in 8 of those 14 days and I averaged 5.5 hrs of knitting on the last 4 of those 8 days! I was praying that my hand wont pop out of its socket or something. From about 240 sts onwards it was a slow process and towards the end it got to a crawl. I stopped the increases at 450 stitches because I couldn't stand it anymore and it turned out that, had I gone further I wouldn't have had time to finish it. It was just 'in the knit of time' - if I say so myself.

The diameter was 42 inches, which was ample. I was almost tempted to keep it for myself, because the white Jiffy yarn and the cranberry Wool Ease yarn were originally meant for an adult afghan that I wanted to knit for myself. That never materialized, so soon the rest of the yarn will be transformed into a similar baby blanket. I am very very happy with this blanket, the knitting was frenzied but the outcome was
100% completely satisfying.

For more inspiration go to Flickr.

Pattern: Pinwheel Baby Blanket
Yarn: Lion Brand Jiffy in White 3 skeins, Lion Brand Wool Ease in Cranberry a little over a skein, a little bit of Hometrends/Style yarn from Walmart in Pale Blue.
Needle: US #8 DPNs and 36 inch circulars.
Notions: 9+1 stitch markers to place after the yarnover in each section. Always keep one stitch marker in a different color from the rest, for the beginning of the round.

2 comments:

Rajeswari P said...

Actually I left a huge commnet here yday!! Cant beleive it isnt here!! :)

This is the single most gorgeous baby blankie ever! I've secretly vowed tat I'm making this for my future-baby-to-be-born (God willing!)
I really do not know how u do it PT.... great job once again!!
Kudos on the patience and passion shown!!! Its truly breathtaking! :)Looooooovee it! :)

Hope thi spost makes it to the blog!! :)

Pani Thuly said...

Thank you so much! This is a nice big blanket and definitely your future baby who by God's Will, will make his/her entry into the world, all ready for mommy's blanket! I am looking forward to that future too :))